Many of us spending 40+ hours a week sitting at a desk in an office. During those hours, the environment is out of our control. There may be unpleasant lighting, our coworkers might not be pleasant people, or it could be a noisy. There are many ways, however, to make your space more comfortable. The ultimate spiritual training is learning to find comfort and peace in any setting!
Here are 7 tips to make your workspace feel better:
1) Consider keeping a plant at your desk. Plants purify the air and energy, connect you to nature, and need to be watered, giving you a reason to get up and take breaks. They are also a reminder that life is all around you, which is especially important in stale, cold environments that don’t feel very life-like (ie. an office without a window).
2) Surround yourself with pictures that make you happy. A picture that makes you feel good is a powerful thing. It can make the difference between a good and bad mood! And there are so many options: photos of loved ones, cute animals, inspirational posters, colorful artwork, funny printouts, etc. In my office, I am surrounded by pictures of precious animals, reminding me of the good in the world.
3) Sit on an exercise ball or consider getting a stand-up desk. Replace your chair or get one in addition to your regular office chair. Exercise balls are a refreshing change from a regular chair, allowing you to use more muscles when sitting. You can stretch throughout the day, bounce on a whim, and strengthen your core! Stand-up desks are also great for minimizing the amount of time sitting.
4) Get up and move! Make sure to take regular breaks, getting up to stretch, breathe, and move your body. Even if you only spend 2-3 minutes every hour, your body and mind will thank you. Fitbits are great for this, allowing you to set reminders to get up and walk.
5) Listen to music that makes you feel good. Work environments can sometimes be loud and distracting. Consider listening to relaxing or upbeat music if headphones/ear buds are ok in the workplace. If you can't concentrate while listening to music, there are many apps and youtube videos that provide white noise or non-music sounds. An app/website I like:
6) Keep essential oils nearby. Essential oils are a powerful way to shift your energy, mellowing out stress or boosting energy levels. They are also a great tool for disinfecting and preventing illness. A dab of lavender on the temples or tops of the shoulders can help ease tension. To boost energy levels, consider taking in the aroma of citrus (lemon, orange, or grapefruit), peppermint, and/or sweet basil oil.
To clear germs or negative energy, create a spray with 10-15 drops of eucalyptus and 10-15 drops of rosemary, diluted in a small spray bottle.
7) Keep a crystal or two at your desk. Crystals are a great way to alter the energy around your desk, but make sure to cleanse them regularly, especially if you work in a toxic environment. Here are a few to consider:
Shungite - One of the best stones for combatting electro-magnetic frequencies (EMF), so this would be great to have near the computer, your cell phone, or other electric devices. Shungite also has purifying and grounding qualities to help combat environmental stress.
Black tourmaline - Another very grounding and purifying stone, great for absorbing negativity and pathogens, and protecting our Wei Qi (or immune system).
Citrine - Citrine is a great stone for improving energy and increasing abundance. In Chinese Medicine, citrine correlates with the Spleen. Improving the Spleen’s ability, reduces fatigue, digestion issues, and inability to concentrate. Citrine also helps improve self confidence and finding meaning in the world.
Amazonite - A great stone to help combat stress by soothing the Liver. It is a very calming stone that is great for reducing frustration and stress, while strengthening willpower and determination. Since this is a 5th chakra stone, it also positively affects communication, encouraging us to speak effectively with integrity.