I've been good about spending time writing blog posts and over Memorial Day weekend, I figured I'd write up a storm. Instead, I found that I just couldn't keep my butt in my chair. I was overcome with this intense desire to clean out my closet. It wasn't even a decision. It was more of a natural occurrence, devoid of thinking, no different than birds flying south for winter or a volcanic eruption. It just felt right and there wasn't anything that was going to stop me from purging my closet. When my husband joined in on the fun, cleaning out his own closet, it got me wondering, "what is going on?" Why are we doing so much cleaning?
Eventually, I remembered that a full moon was among us. That would explain the cleaning frenzy, sleep disturbances, and erratic energy. It's easy to forget in our modern society, but we are greatly affected by the planets above. Just as the moon affects ocean waves, it affects us as well, especially since we are 60% water.
The full moon can bring with it a tremendous amount of energy, since it is sitting directly opposite the sun, reflecting a lot of light. In this way, the full moon heightens our emotions and senses. If we are in a calm state of mind, we have the potential to be even calmer. However, if we are angry, we may become even angrier.
This is a great time for reflection and introspection. It can also be a great time to make positive changes or let go of any aspects of your life that no longer serve you. It sounds like a chaotic time, but it is possible to harness the full moon's energy to your advantage. On the other hand, when life becomes difficult or you're just having a bad day, the full moon is a good time to rest, relax, and be good to yourself.
Here are 5 tips to help you cope with a full moon:
- Carve out some time to focus on yourself and not do any work. Have some alone time and do something you find relaxing. Sit on the couch with a cup of tea and book, get a massage, go for a walk in nature, etc.
- Take a salt bath. Salt baths are incredibly detoxifying and help aid in the release of old energy and emotions. Mix a cup of sea salt, pink salt, dead salt, or whatever you prefer, into the bath, and relax. Add some lavender and/or geranium essential oil for an extra boost.
- Check in with yourself and see how you're doing. How are you feeling? Are you on the right path in life? Are there changes you could make? Spend time reflecting or journaling.
- If you feel compelled, do some organizing or cleaning. Is there a messy spice cabinet that has plagued you for years? Is your closet full of clothes you don't wear? Do you get too many junk emails? Now is a great time to clean! Only do this though if it feels good, otherwise, skip it!
- Do something creative! We spend so much time working or being caught up in routines devoid of anything creative. Most people don't realize it, but when we are being creative, we are in our most natural state. In other words, we feel our best when we are creating. Being creative could be MANY things: crafting, making music, playing music, cooking, sewing, drawing, painting, gardening, blogging (what I am doing now!) decorating your home, and so on.